Thursday, May 15, 2014

To: My Fellow Future Missionaries

Hi!

I don't know which part of the process you're at.
I'm in the middle of the interviews part.

But I feel like I should share this with you.
My study sesh was pretty rewarding today :)

Growing up I never thought I'd serve a mission.
Then the momentous General Conference when President Monson announced the age change!

Still didn't think I was going.

For a while. 
I'm more stubborn than you could possibly believe.

Then I decided to go!
(More on that later. Be patient. That isn't today's story.)

As I'm sure you're aware...
People tell you/will tell you
ALL THE TIME
how hard it's going to be. 

How hard EVERYTHING will be once you start your papers, 
once you are waiting for your call,
after you receive your call,
and up until the moment you leave,

Satan WILL work his very hardest on you because the work you are preparing for matters.
And if you continue to [insert standard Sunday School answers here] and always
have faith and trust in the Lord.
You'll be okay!

Sounds easy, yes?
You and I both know that it isn't quite as easy as it sounds.

But it works.
I promise.

Life is HARD for me right now.
My goodness, every little thing seems to be going wrong :)

I'm not complaining here, just stating the facts.
Yes, life is not easy right now.

But I wouldn't change it.

Satan working so hard against me is just further proof that I'm supposed to be serving a mission!
And what Satan isn't betting on is that I'm learning from these experiences,
rather than giving up.

Do me a favor, go study Joseph Smith - History 1:60.

Guys. There's SO MUCH we can learn from Joseph Smith - History. 
It's one of my favorite passages to study.

Here are some of the parts that stuck out to me - in just one verse of scripture.

"For no sooner was it known I had them, than the most strenuous exertions were used to get them from me."

No sooner than the moment I started my mission papers,
everything started going wrong. 
It's been hard to even put a smile on my face some days.

"The persecution became more bitter and severe than before"

Yes, of course there were challenges in my life before I started my papers.
But there has been a noticeable difference.
People always told me there would be, but honestly - I never believed them.

Well. They were totally right. 

Satan and his forces attacked Joseph Smith with every single thing they had.
But due to Joseph's overwhelming faith, hard work, and trust in the Lord and His plan,
He was able to translate the Book of Mormon.

(MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK).

He was able to bring the gospel back to the earth.
He was a prophet of God.

He did the most INCREDIBLE things.

And his life was hard.
It was, oh so very hard.
For him and his family.

But I'd wager that he was one of the happiest people, ever.
And he accomplished SO MUCH to bring the gospel back to the earth and the people in it.

I doubt any of you will have to go through the exact things Joseph Smith went through.
But your challenges will feel like Everest to you.
Mine sure do.
But you will be challenged and tested and have so many things thrown in your direction.

(Do me another favor. Go read Helaman 5:12. #scripturemastery)

Because Satan doesn't want you to be the incredibly powerful missionaries you can be.
You are going to make a difference. 
You're going to affect the world for good, and he knows it.

So yes, it will get harder.

Hard things make you grow.

But let's be honest,
sometimes they kinda suck.

So here's what I do to stay happy and positive through all the crap.


Surround yourselves with good, happy, uplifting friends.

Callie.

Kenna.
Bex.

Family time, kids. FAMILY. TIME.

Juju.

Step-fam, Dad, brothers 
Mum.

Brothers, Cousins


Pops.
Grandma Myrn & Grandma Lolo

Grandma & Grandpa

Take the time every day to do something that you love.
Even if it's just surfing Instagram or Pinterest for 5 minutes, 
do something every day that makes you happy.

Taking pickshurrs 

Hanging out in da river.
Disneybounding with friends (Peter Pan, style! You know that's right.)

Read a book. Or LOTS of books.

Go outside. Trust me on this one.
Outside is gooood for you.



Ready?
Standard Sunday School answers.
(They're standard for a reason, kids. They work.)

Attend all of your church meetings & pay attention.
Study your scriptures - actually STUDY. Don't just casually read.
Pray, with real intent. Fast when you need it.


Last, but not least.
Prepare for your mission every day.
Learn to love the people you'll be serving.
(I don't even know where I'm going yet, and I feel a love for those people that I can't describe.)
Study Preach My Gospel.
Learn the doctrines and teachings in it early, and you'll be better off in the MTC and in the field.
(So I've heard from my missionary friends. It makes sense.)
If you can, find someone to practice studying and teaching with like you will with your companions.

Make sure you're ready for your mission.
Don't let Satan get you down. We all know he's not going to win anyway.
I swear, doing all of those things I almost forget how hard everything has been.
And I'm so very happy.



This is going to be an amazing summer. 
I love where I am in life.

6 comments:

  1. You are one of the most amazing people that I know Miss Keni!! You are such an inspiration and you are going to be one of the BEST missionaries I have ever known! Love you cute girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much I needed this in my life today. I love you! You are so amazing. I'm sorry things are rough right now, but you have such a great attitude. Thank you for being an example for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Keni! I am so proud of you and your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a freaking ROCKSTAR!!! Gosh, the world is so much better with you in it! I'm honored to have made the list of things that help you... I was sure I was on the list of things that are "hard." :)

    I love you, sweetie. You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keni! I'm not even going to attempt to deny it this time. I cried. You're a powerful woman! I'm so excited for you! Keep facing those horrid challenges with this attitude - it's inspiring for all around you. Just amazing! There are some people in a currently unknown place who are going to be so very blessed by the amazing spirit you carry with you, and the Spirit that will always be with you! Love you, Keni. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete